Sunday, November 6, 2011

Travelling with Ireland

Well, we did it. We made our first trip with Ireland - and all three of us came out alive...well...basically anyhow.

MP has been competing in triathlons, and I intend to do my first one in May. As a result, when MP suggested we take off to Panama City Beach, Florida to watch the Florida Ironman, I said, "lets go!"

We briefly discussed asking a few people to watch Ireland for the weekend, but in the end we didn't think it was the right thing to do. Plus, I think we both needed something to give us our first taste of travelling with a mini us.

I spent last week putting together a list of things I would need to bring. You know, because this is what women do. The men just focus on rushing our asses out the door. So, in an effort to be prepared, I worked off my list. I got up early on Friday and got a bag together for Ireland and I...score! Then I got all the other bags....

We loaded up and got on our way around 3pm on Friday, after swinging by daycare to pick up the love of our lives. Off we went.... Ireland napped right away until about 5pm. We stopped to eat and soon after we got back on the road she slept again until 10pm. I thought this would be a recipe for disaster, setting her up for no sleep that night in the hotel. But, we were lucky.

We got to the hotel and checked in and got her in her PJ's. She was anxious to do tummy time, so we set her on the bed and she just showed us how she can hold her head up! Then she showed us her new trick which is turning around to watch someone and 'scooting'. After a bit, we shut off the lives and off to bed she went.

We got up bright and early on Saturday to watch the beginning of the race. The professionals were due in the water at 6:50am. No thank you. But, we were there to watch them dive into the 68 degree water while it was like 48 outside. Ireland was in the Baby Bjorn, all bundled up, keeping me warm! She napped and I used her blanket as a wind breaker.

We then spent the rest of the day either "watching people exercise" as Renee would say or arguing. Aruging about where to watch, what to do eat, when to go back to the hotel to give the baby a nap, and so forth. It was also spent watching some amazing atheletes. The respect I have for these folks in intense.

Travellign with a four month old baby was a whole new exerience. I do not regret it and I will do it again. But it did remind me that MP and I desperately need a night or two away, withou little Miss Ireland. I think it would serve all three of us very well.

We made it back in time to relax a little - and I finished my comps! Wahoo!

So tired....

No comments:

Post a Comment