Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Best Hug Yet

Have you ever spent time thinking about hugs?

Hugs are one of the best things you can give or receive. They are free, yet they are not typically given enough.

I think about the value of human touch and the way a good hug feels. You give a hug to a friend or family member when you say hello and likely when you say hello.

You can give a hug to console someone and you can give a hug to congratulate someone.

Think about the time you were having an awful day, the weight of the world was on your shoulders and hug from someone you love brought tears to your eyes? You literally collapsed in their arms. You felt safe to release yourself in their arms.

I think about all the times in my life I've shared hugs of sadness and hugs of delight as I meet and greet or leave family and friends at the airport. Oh, the airport. A hub of hugs.

I think about hugs from my husband. He's one of my favorite people to hug - and I miss them when he is away.

I think about the hugs that need no reason - yet they brighten your day.

I think about the relationships I've fostered through business and how I've had VP's of HR embrace me in a hug - something that doesn't see to fit the workplace - but it was so natural at the the same time.

I think about the hugs that my mom gave me growing up - when I got hurt or was sad.

There are so many more reasons for hugs that evoke so much emotion - but there is this hug I've started to get recently that all but brings me to my knee's.

It feels like just yesterday Ireland started with "the neck hug".

After I change Ireland's diaper or change her clothes - I typically stand her up on the changing table and then scoop her up into my arms. As of yesterday she has begun hugging me back. Like HUGGING me back - taking her itty bitty arms and full on throwing them around my neck like I am the best thing she has ever seen. It literally melts my heart and makes me weak in my knees. She squeezes me and I can feel and hear her breath, hers squeals of delight, her love.
 
I say it all the time and I mean it - I do now know what I did in my life to be blessed with this amazing little baby girl. But I do know one thing - I can't wait to feels those arms around my neck tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment