Sunday, January 16, 2011

A lot can happen in 4 years!

Probably one of the best greeting cards I ever received was a card with a quote on the front with a blank inside. The quote read:

"Nothing happens, nothing happens and then all at once, everything happens."

This card was sent to me by my wonderful friend Erin, right around the time I moved to Florida. There is so much truth to this card, as it relates to how I felt about my life, and I still have it in my card collection.

It's hard to believe that 4 years ago today, I rolled into Tampa, FL with my mom as my co-pilot. My trusty Mariner was filled with the basics - some clothes, toiletries, my work computer and very few personal items. Little did I know at the time that I really didn't need to pack much, because my life was going to fill up with more than I ever could have imagined - and most of it being of the non-material variety.

We stopped at my uncle's sister’s house for dinner and then followed my aunt to her beach rental in Anna Maria Island where I would stay until I had my own place. As I followed her I had the first, and last, moment of doubt about my decision - I remember the 3 minute drive was filled with "OMG, did I just make the right decision, I already miss my friends, what if we don't work out, eeek!" I sat down and shared that thought with my mom and in her direct, New Jersey, manner she replied "you did, get over it." And get over it I did.

The next day was like Christmas. It was MLK day 2007. My mom and I drove to the beach and had breakfast outside at the beach cafe. As we stared off into the water, with palm trees swaying above and the sun was glistening off the waves, I remember feeling like I could literally burst with excitement. Gone were the days of waiting in the bus stop in sub-zero weather. Goodbye gray skies. I was living the good life now! I think it was a high of the mid 80's and MP came down and spent the day with me. We went to the beach and I got in the water and I was the epitome of a kid in love. I was in love with him, in love with the beach and already in love with Florida. We had cocktails and shrimp at the restaurant on the bay, ate crab and steak for dinner (courtesy of my pretty mommy) and rode bikes around the island like we were 12. I literally have tears in my eyes as I write this because it was truly a splendid day.

See for years, I had waited on this love, this exact moment to arrive. And it was finally here, finally mine to have, I was holding it, relishing in it and I was, and remain, so thankful for it. Anyone who truly knows MP and I know that our story starts well before MLK day, 2007.

I can remember the first time I saw him in the fall of 1998 when I was 18 and thought he was 'cute' as he led a Student Government meeting. I can remember the first time he told me my hair cut was 'nice' as I left a StuGov meeting when I was 19. I can remember February 2nd, 2000 like it was this afternoon - when he first asked to walk me to class and I had to share with him that I already had a boyfriend. I can remember the night we spent together in May of 2000 - we talked all night after I snuck into a bar to see him. He was graduating and I still had two years left of undergrad. He tried to kiss me and as he says, I 'threw him the Heisman'. I remember when he came in for Homecoming in October 2000 and spent the night, but I wouldn't kiss him then either, b/c I had a boyfriend. I remember breaking up with my boyfriend the very next day - ready, willing and finally able to be with MP.

But life doesn't always play by your rules. It doesn't go in accordance with the plans you have made. And truly - life wasn't ready for us. We were able to do some 'dating' but it never went the way I had planned. For the next 7 years was less than planned. We had some great times, some 'bad' times and a long period of time where we did not communicate for nearly 3 years. In true MP style, he came back round when I was again with someone else. Ever hear the song "The Weakness in Me" by Joan Armatrading? I think she wrote that for me. So after another MP induced break-up, I was a free, willing and capable woman, yet again. (Disclaimer: It's really not fair to say any break up with MP induced, as both relationships were to end regardless. I just added for literary flair!)

So I had a lot of ‘nothing happening’ for years when it came to MP and I. I also had a lot of ‘nothing happening’ in my life for a period of time. The ages of 21-26 were great in so many ways for me, yet lonely in so many ways as well. I enjoyed being single, going out and partying, answering to no-one and having the freedom to do as I wished. I had a series of not so great jobs, followed by a great job at PPG in Pittsburgh. I had attempted to move back to KC, but that turned out not to be the path I was meant to take. I had many nights spent with amazing friends laughing, talking, and making some fabulous memories. As great as it all was, and I really was - I would never change any of it, it really felt like I was sitting in a stoplight waiting desperately for the light to turn green so I could go. Don’t get me wrong, as I just described, I was sitting in my car jamming out with the radio up and the windows down, but the wind just wasn’t in my hair yet. I watched the other cars fly by. The passengers of those cars were falling in love, moving into together, getting engaged, married, making babies, etc. I often wondered when I was going to get the means to move out of my parents comfortably, and start my life on my terms. I’m not the first person who felt that way, and I won’t be the last. But at time, it sure felt like I was alone.

So let’s go back to 4 year ago this weekend. FINALLY, it was time. BOOM – it was all about to happen. The past 4 years have been amazing and so much has happened. We moved in together after five months of my living here. We have moved 3 times, I purchased us a home. We remodeled part of his condo and this entire house. We got engaged and married. We went to Ireland. We travelled places in the US and went to Mexico and Bermuda. We have been LIVING life hard for 4 years now and it just keeps getting better.

4 years ago I had no idea I would be sitting here, on my new patio at 10pm at night, writing this with a baby in my belly. Cheers to another amazing 4 years ahead! :)

I love you, MP and Poppy! Thank you for making 'everything' happen with me!

1 comment:

  1. I am in tears! What a beautiful entry! I cannot believe it has been 4 years. Isn't it funny how God guides you in the right direction? Love you, girl...and I am so glad you moved here four years ago!

    ReplyDelete