Monday, November 8, 2010

Working Out

One thing that I have always said was that I would work out when I got pregnant. I've always read about the benefits of working out during pregnancy and how it helps women lose weight faster post- delivery. So, now it's time for me to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

It's no secret that I've put on weight in the 4 years that I've lived in FL. It was very slow and gradual at first, but the last year the weight has come back hard. 2009 and 2010 have been wonderful, stressful years and unfortunately between work, school and life - I let my exercising and eating habits slack. About 4 weeks before I got pregnant, I began a new schedule where I go to the gym at lunch. I am no longer a spring chicken who can get up at 5am to workout, I'm up too late at night doing school work. So something had to change and I appreciate my boss's Amy & Lisa for being so flexible with me. So the month leading up to Poppyseed, I lost about 6-7 lbs I had put on, was working out 3-5 times a week, hard, and eating well (but still getting my treats!) I was on a roll!

I was out of commission all last week - no chance of working out with the sickness. So today, Monday the 8th, was my first time working out knowing I'm housing a Poppyseed. I must admit that I was a bit nervous. I haven't talked to my OB yet and my favorite trainer has left the gym. So I am going off what I've read in my WTEWYE book and other articles I Google on my phone at 1am when I can't sleep due to restless leg.

I didn't have as much time at the gym as I would've liked to today, but I did about 30 minutes on the treadmill and I did some chest and arms today. Tomorrow I plan to walk for at least 45 minutes outside and Wednesday I'll focus on legs at the gym - squats, squats, squats! I plan to continue to workout 4-5 times a week and walk 7 days a week. So, wish me luck!! Luckily the 1st trimester pregnancy exhaustion is only starting to creep in on me. I was a bit tired on my way to gym, but once I got there and got on the treadmill, I felt good and I had energy to get me through the afternoon at work. Success!

It's hard to be at the gym and have to constantly watch your heart rate, it can't go up too high. I was doing interval training on the Arch Strider where my heart rate gets WAY up and WAY down and I'm literally dripping sweat when I'm done. Now, instead, I stay a slower steady rate. It's a whole new approach that is going to take getting used too.

No comments:

Post a Comment